Sunday, August 16, 2009

Nine Patch Quilt Along & Twilight

I didn't get much sewing done this weekend but I got a lot of this done.


My daughter has been reading the Twilight Series and usually I only read the first in a series that my child is reading, but I just haven't been able to put these down. I actually have read the first book during the last week and the second and third this weekend.

Usually, when my kids read books that are controversial for kids to read, I try to read at least the first book of the series so I can be informed and have a good discussion with my kids on the content. When my son wanted to read Harry Potter at the age of 8 I read the first one and decided to go ahead and let him read the series so we could have some good discussion on fantasy vs. reality. My daughter who is 12 also just finished the Harry Potter series and has moved on and finished the Twilight series and we've also had lots of good discussion.

I did manage to get a bit of sewing done today. I worked on my nine patch blocks for Round 2 of the Crazy Mom Quilts quilt along. I was a bit behind but have caught up and am a little ahead now.


With this quilt along we are supposed to do 1 nine patch block a day for 70 days so we can make a quilt similar to this one by Angela from My Three Sons. Today we should be on block number 28 but I have finished 41!


I have to tell you, I was not feeling the love while I was sewing these, I was a little unsure on whether I should have done a more traditional nine patch rather than using a green patch in the center of each block, but I am committed to busting my scrap stash on this one and I'm planning to sash this differently, so I have been carrying on.

I had a pleasant surprise when I laid these out to take a few pictures for the blog and I am actually loving the green patch at the center of each block.


Only 29 more blocks, sashing, and borders to go!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marianne
    Your blog is so pretty. I am a fellow guild member and got your email today. I've also read the twilight series, but have your read her first meant for adults (as opposed to meant for teens) novel called 'The Host'. It's also very good. All the best to you on your new blog...it's lovely. Keep up the good work, and see you at guild.
    Darcey

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo another Twilight convert!

    loving the green center square; love the colors in the blocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm still behind.. its sad!! but i vow to catch up one day or another!

    ReplyDelete