Monday, September 7, 2009

Mod Samplers

Hope everyone in the US and Canada are having a great holiday weekend. It's been raining and overcast here but still been a nice weekend as I've made some extra dinners and done a lot of baking so the kids have food for school lunches. School starts tomorrow and I think I'm really going to miss having the kids home.

On to some quilty content, I managed to get my second Mod Sampler from the Oh, Fransson Mod Sampler Quilt Along sashed and ready for the LongArm. I was supposed to be catching up on all my own LongArm quilting for the summer but instead my To Be Quilted stack has grown larger than ever. What can I say, I've been obsessed by piecing; I think I'll have to call this summer the "Summer of My Piecing Frenzy"!

Back in March I participated in the Quilt Along put on by Elizabeth Hartman; her cutting instructions and designs are simply amazing. Here is the quilt I came up with.

My 17 year old son wanted to claim it but I thought it was a bit too feminine, so, I decided to take the rest of the FQ stack of Mambo and make a more masculine quilt sashed in chocolate brown Kona for him. Here is a photo of the back first quilt-along quilt I completed.

So, in June I started piecing this one and made all the blocks and then I became distracted with some other piecing projects. Last week my sister and I laid out all of the blocks and determined the layout and I worked all week sashing it. I finally finished the quilt top last night. Yay!
Here it is all ready for quilting!

Back to my next project, I have figured out a layout for my Crazy Mom Quilts Quilt Along nine patch which I posted about here and here. I've cut out all of the sashing and have begun to assemble. Hopefully, I can show you that quilt top by next Monday!

4 comments:

  1. you have definitely had a piecing summer! love how different these two quilts look with the light and dark sashings

    piecing backings has become a favorite of mine. love the fabric you've used here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mod samplers! Both versions. What an awesome mom to make a more masculine version for an admiring son! Keep up the piecing. I enjoy hearing about the quilts and seeing how they turn out!
    http://thequiltingdee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the chocolate brown sashing. And I'd guess a great keepsake for your son to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dark sashing on the sampler quilt - perfect for a young man!

    ReplyDelete